Alternate Home Study Schedule
NOTE: Each bulleted item should take approximately 20 minutes.
- Starfall calendar activity: www.starfall.com
- Graph the weather for the week on graph paper.
- Read Aloud: Parents please read picture books to your child (20 minutes). Use predictions and prompting. Discuss to check for understanding.
- Accelerated Reader
- Story Response: Draw and write about your stories.
- Sight word practice: Master the 50 sight words: the, of, and, a to, in, is, you, that, it, he, for, was, on, are, as with, his they, at, be, this, from, I, have, or, by, one, had, not but, what, all, were, when, we, there, can, an, your, which, their, said, if, do, will, each, about, how, up. Work with 5 at a time; see ideas at http://www.yourdictionary.com/dictionary-articles/Sight-Word- Games.html.
- Mathematics: Twenty minutes of online math instruction at: http://www.internet4classrooms.com/skills-k-mathbuilders.htm
- Math skills: Take time to use mathematical language and real life scenarios to teach math authentically throughout the day. (Example: have your student help you set the table and count out the number of place settings, etc.)
- Science: Twenty minutes of online instruction at: http://www.fossweb.com/modulesK-2/index.html
- Independent reading: 20 minutes
- Important: Emphasize routine and structure throughout your day.
- Afternoon activities: Choose from one of the following: listen and respond to music: playdough, paint and other art activities; nature walks; be sure to build in time for chores (pet care, cleaning their rooms, etc.) and rest.